top of page

Asylum and permanent residence requirements in the Netherlands

#Asylumseekers are permitted to stay in the #Netherlands if they are at risk of persecution because of their ethnicity or social group, religion, nationality or political beliefs.

Risk of being subjected to torture, or inhuman or degrading treatment is also grounds for #asylum, as is coming from a country that is at war. After living in the Netherlands for five years, foreigners and their families can apply for a Dutch permanent #residencepermit.

Citizens from the #EU, European Economic Area (EEA – EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) and Switzerland are eligible for European permanent residence, as well as their family members regardless of nationality.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizens are also eligible for permanent residency. However, they are assessed for either long-term resident-EC status or regular Dutch permanent residency, depending on which conditions they fulfil.

Certain foreign residents in the Netherlands are also eligible for Dutch citizenship after five or 10 years. This could also be as low as three years in certain cases, such as marriage to a Dutch citizen.

Some internationals also need to apply for an #MMVpermit when they apply for a Dutch residence permit.

The MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf) is a provisional residence permit that allows one to enter the Netherlands as a potential resident rather than a tourist. The MVV is not an official residence permit.

You or your sponsor can apply for the MVV and the residence permit simultaneously before travelling. This is known as the #TEV procedure (Entry and Residence Procedure).

For employees, researchers or highly skilled migrants, the sponsor is the employer. Depending on the circumstances an educational institution, relative or partner can also act as a sponsor.

All Dutch residence permit applications are processed by the #IND (Dutch department of Immigration and Naturalisation).

Applications lodged in the Netherlands can be directly submitted with the IND. Applications from abroad can either be submitted at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of residence, or at the IND by your sponsor who is already in the Netherlands.

1 view0 comments


bottom of page